Typical awards range from $500 to $5,000. Larger awards will be considered for exceptional projects.
Through our Hayek Fund, graduate students and faculty can request support for expenses related to research on themes within the liberal tradition.
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Grants are typically supplemental and are designed to offset a project’s total cost. Applicants will be notified of decisions within six weeks of submission.
The following are common expenses supported by IHS. We also welcome uncommon requests.
- Travel for conference presentations and archival research
- Research collaboration and hiring a research assistant
- Journal submission fees
- Purchase of data sets
- Book publication expenses (e.g. copy editing, indexing)
- Living expenses (e.g. rent)
- Hardware costs (e.g. laptops, printers)
- Tuition expenses
- Salary support
- Retroactive expenses
- Applicants must be full-time students or faculty at an accredited college or university
- Preference will be given to research directly tied to IHS areas of focus and to applicants from top research institutions
- Preference will be given to projects that outline specific publishing goals
- Previous applicants and winners are welcome to apply
- Applications must be submitted six weeks before the expense is incurred
- Applications may only pertain to one project (multiple applications are welcomed)
- Typically, the same project will not be funded more than once
IHS grants cannot support institutional overhead or indirect costs.