Typical awards range from $500 to $5,000. Higher funding awards will be considered for exceptional projects.
Through our Hayek Fund, graduate students and faculty can request support for expenses related to research on themes within the liberal tradition.
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Any scholar engaged in research or teaching at an accredited college or university may apply for funding. Grants are typically supplemental and are designed to offset a project’s total cost. Applications must be submitted six weeks before the expense is incurred. Applicants will be notified of decisions within six weeks of submission.
The following are common expenses supported by IHS. We welcome uncommon requests.
- Travel for conference presentations, job interviews, and archival research
- Research collaboration and hiring a research assistant
- Journal submission fees
- Purchase data sets
- Book publication expenses (e.g. copy editing, indexing)
- Application fees for PhD programs
- Living expenses (e.g. rent)
- Hardware costs (e.g. laptops, printers)
- Tuition expenses
- Retroactive expenses
Applicants must be full-time students or faculty at an accredited college or university. Preference will be given to research directly tied to IHS areas of focus and to applicants from North America and Europe.
- Applications must be submitted six weeks before the expense is incurred
- Retroactive expenses are ineligible
- Applications may only pertain to one project (multiple applications are welcomed)
- Typically, the same project will not be funded more than once
IHS grants cannot support institutional overhead or indirect costs.