Creative Producer & Project Manager
The Institute for Humane Studies (IHS) wants to make the world a better, freer place. And we need a new team member to help us get there, one amazing video at a time.
IHS seeks a self-starting creative producer & project manager to take the lead on new video projects for IHS’s online educational programs. No prior experience in video production required. Experience is a plus, however this is not a technical position. We aim to reach millions of college students with entertaining and informative videos about the ideas of liberty. Projects will include videos for Learn Liberty and Learn Liberty Academy, as well as videos for new Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) which are currently in development.
Creative Producers/ Project Managers do it all. They own each project from ideation to execution, planning to making the final payments. For each project, you will assemble a team from a pool of staff, contractors, and other agencies. You will be the connective tissue that ensures we deliver entertaining and inspiring videos, on time.
Own production from beginning to end
- Work with faculty to determine the video needs and content of their topic/course, and how best to translate their material to video in order to maximize learning & student interest/engagement
- Participate in and lead brainstorming, strategizing, concept development, and project execution
- Write and/or edit video outlines & scripts (and/or oversee contractor work on this)
- Build a crew for filming and post-production; find, choose, and hire necessary external contractors. Set clear deadlines and deliverables.
- Review all storyboards, art samples, and rough cuts, and provide feedback to contractors
- Ensure all videos are finished on time, on budget, and meet our standards of quality and credibility
- Find solutions to problems, and improve and develop our standard practices.
- A strong interest in online education, particularly online university courses and MOOCs. Prior experience in this area is a plus.
- Excellent time/project management skills
- Interest in online videos and storytelling, experience is a plus
- Ability to work independently, be a self-starter
- Strong writing & editing skills
- Strong understanding of and appreciation for classical liberal/libertarian ideas, including free markets and civil liberties.
If you’re excited by the idea of joining our team, please send us a resume and cover letter, along with 3 examples of educational videos from around the web that you admire (so much that you wish you’d made them yourself). Also, in 1-2 paragraphs, pitch us an idea for a new video that you would make for Learn Liberty to help us reach new viewers (ages 18-25) with an important lesson or message. We look forward to hearing from you!
About the Institute for Humane Studies:
The Institute for Humane Studies, founded in 1961, is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) educational organization that promotes the study of economic and individual freedom across a broad range of academic and professional disciplines. Each year IHS awards more than $750,000 in scholarships to students from universities around the world. IHS also sponsors free summer seminars, awards public policy and journalism internships, and provides various forms of career assistance. Through these programs, IHS promotes open inquiry, critical thinking, rigorous scholarship, and creative problem solving.