© 2022 Institute for Humane Studies at George Mason University
Institute for Humane Studies Program Waiver
We believe in personal responsibility and we ask you to sign
a waiver that says you aren’t going to sue us as a result of the program we’ve
invited you to. Specifically:
In consideration for being permitted to voluntarily
participate in this Institute for Humane Studies program and related
activities, the undersigned:
1. Hereby releases, waives, discharges and covenants not to
sue the Institute for Humane Studies and its respective affiliates, successors,
officers, directors, employees, agents, contracted faculty members, along with
all owners and lessees of premises used to conduct the events and each of their
officers, directors, employees and agents; all for the purpose herein referred
to as “Releasees” and each of them, from all liability to the
undersigned, and the personal representatives, assigns, heirs, and next of kin
of the undersigned, from any and all loss or damage, and any claim or demands
therefore on account of injury to the person or property or resulting in death
of the undersigned, whether caused by the negligence of the Releasees or
otherwise while the undersigned is participating in the Event.
2. Hereby further releases, waives, discharges and covenants
not to sue the Releasees on the basis of any duty of care and agrees to
indemnify and save and hold harmless the Releasees and from any loss,
liability, damage or cost (including reasonable attorney’s fees prior to trial,
at trial, and on appeal incurred due to the undersigned participating in the
event and whether caused by the negligence of the Releasees or otherwise.
3. Hereby agrees that the use of alcohol or any substance,
to the extent that such use affects the undersigned’s abilities to safely participate
in the Event, may be considered hazardous to the safety and health of other
participants and attendees in the Event and is strictly forbidden.
4. Hereby authorizes the Releasees to obtain emergency
medical treatment for me, including if necessary surgical procedures, if I am
injured while participating in the event and after reasonable attempts under
the circumstances Releasees are unable to contact a relative or legal guardian.
I understand that Releasees may not be able to contact a relative or legal
guardian under emergency circumstances. I acknowledge and agree that
authorizing the Releasees to obtain medical treatment in no way creates any
obligation for the Releasees to obtain such treatment, and I hereby release,
waive, discharge, and covenant not to sue the Releasees on the basis of any
duty to obtain such treatment.
5. Recording and broadcast rights are reserved solely for IHS. In order to protect the privacy of all participants and speakers, no recordings or screenshots may be taken of the event, and program content may not be shared via email, social media, YouTube, Vimeo, etc. Without limiting the rights and remedies available under this Agreement or under applicable law or equity, parties agree that damages at law may be an insufficient remedy in the event any covenants of this Agreement are breached or violated. Therefore, parties agree that either party may, without limitation, seek and obtain injunctive relief from any court of competent jurisdiction in order to restrain any breach or violation of this Agreement or to specifically enforce the covenants hereof.
The undersigned expressly acknowledges and agrees that the
foregoing release, waiver of liability and indemnity agreement is intended to
be as broad and inclusive as is permitted by law, and that if any portion
thereof is held invalid, it is agreed that the balance shall continue in full
legal force and effect.
The undersigned acknowledges that the release and waiver of
liability and indemnity agreement was provided to me in advance to review, that
I stipulate that I was given sufficient notice and opportunity to review the
document and to seek outside advice or counsel if I so chose, and that I was
advised to do so. I have read and I voluntarily sign this agreement.
I further agree that no oral representations, statements, or
inducements apart from the foregoing written agreement have been made. I
understand and accept that in the course of my participation in the event,
film, video, or photographs may be taken, or illustration made of me and/or my
personal property, including images and sound. I acknowledge and agree that
such film, photographs, and/or illustrations may be used in any medium by the
Institute for Humane Studies and all its related entities and agencies for
advertising, promotion, and/or educational purposes in any medium, without
compensation to me.