Humane Studies Fellowship (HSF) Conference Accelerator Grants are designed for master’s and PhD students who haven’t advanced to candidacy. These grants provide $2,000 to support the work of developing a paper into a conference presentation.
HSF awards give you access to other IHS opportunities including mentorship, job market support, in-person and online events, and much more. You’ll also get connected to our diverse community of scholars advancing the science of liberty.
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. We suggest that you apply no later than April 15 if you seek a grant for summer funding. Applicants will be notified of their award within eight weeks of submission.
Awardees are expected to:
- Submit proof of academic conference participation within six months of award date
Applicants for Humane Studies Fellowship awards must be enrolled in an MA or PhD program or be undertaking a post-doctoral fellowship. Previous applicants and winners are welcome to apply. Prior participation in IHS programs is not required.
The fellowship is open to students and postdocs at any university. International students are eligible; however, preference is given to applicants who live or study in North America or the United Kingdom. Qualifying fields of study include economics, political science, philosophy, law, history, sociology, and similar disciplines in the social sciences and humanities. We generally do not fund research in the natural sciences, medicine, or engineering.
Applications must include:
- Essay explaining your research agenda and how you plan to use the funding, as well as details on current or prospective research
- CV and transcript from current or most recent institution
- Recent writing sample of 3,000 words or fewer
- Dissertation proposal document (if applicable)
- One letter of recommendation due one week after application is submitted