Graduate Sabbatical Grants provide up to $15,000 to PhD candidates (ABD) to buy out teaching or research responsibilities for a semester. These grants are highly competitive and can be renewed.
Awardees are expected to:
- Present their work at an online IHS event (e.g. our Graduate Conference)
- Attend one IHS research productivity workshop
- Keep IHS updated on their research progress
- Submit at least one paper, significantly developed during the sabbatical term, to a leading journal within six months of their sabbatical start date
- Applicants must have published previously or have an article currently under review.
- Applicants must be enrolled as full-time PhD students who have advanced to candidacy.
- Previous applicants and winners are welcome to apply. Prior participation in IHS programs is not required.
- The fellowship is open to students at any university. International students are eligible; however, priority is given to applicants at top research institutions.
- Preference will be given to research directly tied to IHS areas of focus.
We suggest that sabbatical applications be submitted at least three months before the semester begins. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Applicants will be notified of their award decision within eight weeks of submission.
IHS grants cannot support institutional overhead or indirect costs