Can we achieve just outcomes in society without government force? Do free markets contribute to or help solve financial crises? Participants will tackle core cultural issues through the lenses of humanities and social sciences. Ideal for students seeking to add nuance and depth to an existing understanding of libertarian principles.
Liberty & Society
June 15-21 ● Bryn Mawr College, Philadelphia, PA area
- F.A. Hayek, “Use of Knowledge in Society”
- Charles Murray, In Pursuit of Happiness and Good Government, Chapter 13
- PJ O’Rourke, “Parliament of Whores”
June 22-28 ● Loyola Chicago, Chicago, IL
- Tom Bell, The Power of Property Rights, LearnLiberty, March 3, 2011, Can Order be Unplanned? LearnLiberty, April 4, 2011, The Rule of Law, LearnLiberty, February 18, 2011
- Brian Doherty, "The Roots of Modern Libertarian Ideas," “Our Forgotten Goddess,” “Ron Paul: Man of the Left”
- Steven Kates, “On the true meaning of Say’s Law”
July 13-19 ● Chapman University, Orange County, CA
- Randy Barnett, Restoring the Lost Constitution, Chapter 2 (pp. 32-52)
- Peter Boettke, "Austrian School of Economics," Library of Economics and Liberty
- Peter Boettke, Christopher Coyne, and Peter Leeson, “Institutional Stickiness and the New Development Economics”
- Niclas Berggren, "The Benefits of Economic Freedom"
- Donald Boudreaux, "Information and Prices"
- Eamonn Callan, “Liberal Legitimacy, Justice, and Civic Education” Ethics Vol. 111, No. 1 (October 2000) pp.141-155
- Frederick Hess, “Does School Choice Work?”
- "History of Economic Thought"
- Peter Leeson, “Escaping Poverty: Foreign Aid, Private Property, and Economic Development”
- John Locke, Two Treatises of Government, Chapter 5
- Tom Loveless, “How Well are American Students Learning”
- Robert Nozick, Anarchy, State, and Utopia, pp. 174-182
- David Schmidtz, “The Institution of Property”
- William F. Shughart II, "Public Choice"
- David Skarbek and Peter Leeson, “What Can Aid Do?”
- Jeremy Waldron, Law and Disagreement, Chapter 1 (pp. 1-17)
- Claudia Williamson, “Explaining the Failure of Foreign Aid: The Role of Incentives and Information”
- Claudia Williamson, “Informal Institutions Rule: Institutional Arrangements and Economic Performance”