Does Freedom Matter?
Weekend Seminar at Troy University in Troy, Alabama
Co-hosted with Troy and Samford Universities- Register by Feb 22!
- Where: Troy University in Troy, Alabama
- When: March 1-2, 2013
Explore the Liberating Power of Ideas.
Ideas make up the heart of liberty. Understanding the basis of rights, limited government power, and economic opportunity gives us the ability to live in greater freedom.
While the weekend will present diverse points of view and draw from a range of disciplines, the lectures and discussions will move toward and one core goal: to grasp the ideas of liberty in order to live them out.
Bring questions, objections, and a healthy dose of curiosity.
Space is limited and registration is required to attend. Please sign up in advance of the February 22nd deadline.
Participants pay for travel and housing; IHS provides meals.
Weekend Schedule (Subject to Change)
Friday, March 1
- 3:15-3:45 Registration
- 3:45-4:00 Introduction
- 4:15-5:30 “Spontaneous Order,” Dan D’Amico
- 5:30-6:30 Dinner
- 6:30-730 “Positive and Negative Rights,” Charlie Thomas
- 8:00 Social
Saturday, March 2
- 9:00-10:00 Breakfast
- 10:00-11:15 “The Bourgeois Era: Why Some People are Rich While Others are Poor,” Art Carden
- 11:15-11:30 Break
- 11:30-12:45 “Law Givers vs. Law Discoverers vs. Judge Dredd,” Trevor Burrus
- 12:45-1:45 Lunch
- 1:45-3:00 “Public Choice,” Dan D’Amico
- 3:00-3:15 Break
- 3:15-4:30 “Freedom and the Good Life,” Charlie Thomas
- 4:30-5:30 Dinner
- 5:30-6:45 “How to be Ruled by Eccentric Rich Guys,” Trevor Burrus
- 6:45-7:00 Break
- 7:00 Social