IHS Summer Seminars
How to Get Course Credit
You want to attend an IHS Summer Seminar. So why not get credit for it? Check to see if your college or university offers an independent study option. You may be able to design an independent study that includes your attendance at an IHS Summer Seminar. Do your research ahead of time; requirements vary from school to school.
Here are some suggestions for possible ways to earn course credit:
- Ask your Dean’s office if you can undertake an independent study. Follow the guidelines and submit all forms on time!
- Find a faculty advisor or sponsor (a requirement for many independent study courses) and talk to them about what you want to do.
- Propose to write a paper on a topic discussed at the seminar.
Note: All seminar participants receive study aids that can facilitate independent study. Materials include pre-seminar readings to show to a prospective faculty advisor, a link to which will be e-mailed to you in May. Please contact us if you would like to receive a bibliography in advance.
During the seminar, participants also receive:
- A bibliography of additional readings for every seminar lecture
- Books to take home from the seminar