The Institute for Humane Studies (IHS) at George Mason University seeks a smart, curious, analytical Marketing Copy Writer and Copy Editor to join our team as we embark on a major rebranding campaign. We are looking for the right person to help IHS put world-changing ideas into words, and inspire others to make a difference for liberty.
Does this describe you?
The ideal candidate will have a drive to understand people as well as ideas, and the skill to deliver ideas effectively through targeted messages. Because IHS has many voices, versatility is essential. The right person will fluidly adapt both tone and content to fit the voice of the speaker and connect with the audience.
As Copy Editor, this individual will edit written materials as requested, from across the organization. In order to meet staff needs, responsiveness, clear communication, ability to consider alternative points of view, and good judgment and interpersonal finesse count as much as grammatical prowess and attention to detail.
This role focuses primarily on composing and editing language for emails, web copy, ads, and print materials. In addition, the position will involve participation in audience research, strategic planning, and brand implementation across channels. Specific responsibilities include:
- Writing, revising, and editing marketing emails and letters to student and academic audiences
- Composing language that is cohesive, error free, consistent, and effective
- Ensuing language quality and consistency across campaigns and media
- Updating IHS style guide to reflect emerging brand vision
- Maintaining quality, consistency, and accuracy of IHS copy
- Tailoring program descriptions to appeal to member interests
- Consulting on programmatic communications
- Building insight about audiences
The ideal candidate will have the following attributes:
- 3-5 years professional writing and copy editing experience
- Experience writing marketing copy
- Excellent grammar skills
- Familiarity with college audiences
- Familiarity with various style guides
- Exemplary persuasive writing and editing skills
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Positive and open attitude toward constructive criticism
- Strong attention to detail
- Appreciation of classical liberal principles (individual rights, free markets, limited government, voluntarism, and peace
This role reports directly to the Marketing Director and works extensively with others in the marketing department and throughout the organization.
Salary will be commensurate with experience. In addition, IHS provides exceptional benefits to all employees, including health and dental insurance coverage (which includes paying 100 percent of the health insurance premium and tax-free reimbursement of all deductible expenses, and paying 100 percent of the dental insurance premium). IHS also provides all employees with flexible spending accounts, long-term disability and life insurance, a 403(b) retirement savings program, a parking permit, and one free course per semester at George Mason University (GMU).
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials:
- Samples of your persuasive or creative writing. Writing samples should illustrate experience writing marketing copy for emails, ads, or direct mail and/or demonstrate an ability to persuade/market to college student or academic audiences. Please submit 2-4 writing pieces.
- Cover letter detailing:
- Your interest in this position
- A compelling case about why the mission of IHS resonates with you
- Your salary requirements
The Institute for Humane Studies (IHS) founded in 1961, is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) educational organization based at GMU that promotes the study of economic and individual freedom across a broad range of academic and professional disciplines. IHS is located in Arlington, Virginia, just outside of Washington, D.C., at the Ballston metro stop (on the Orange Line). IHS is a flexible, professional, open office environment that encourages innovation and entrepreneurship and provides substantial opportunity for professional and personal growth.