Advanced Topics in Liberty
Moral Foundations of Liberty
Conference for Students - February 10-12, 2012
Discussion Leader: Scott Beaulier
Session 1: Social Cooperation
Smith, Adam. An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations, Volume I. Edited by R. H. Campbell and A. S. Skinner. Indianapolis: Liberty Fund, Inc., 1976.
- “Of the Division of Labour” p. 13-24
- “Of the Principle which gives occasion to the Division of Labour” p. 25-30
- “That the Division of Labour is limited by the Extent of the Market” p. 31-36
Session 2: Social Interests, Individual Interests
Smith, Adam. The Theory of Moral Sentiments. Edited by D. D. Raphael and A. L. Macfie. Indianapolis: Liberty Fund, Inc., 1976.
- Part III, Chapter 1 "Of the Principle of Self-approbation and of Self-disapprobation" p. 109-113
- Chapter 2 "Of the love of Praise, and the of Praise-worthiness; and of the dread of Blame, and that of Blame-worthiness" p. 113-134
- Part III, Chapter 3 "Of the Influence and Authority of Conscience" p. 134-156
- Chapter 4 "Of the Nature of Self-deceit and of the Origin and Use of general Rules" p. 156-161
Session 3: Order and the Individual
Hayek, F. A. Law, Legislation and Liberty, Volume 1: Rules and Order [Phoenix Edition]. Chicago: The University of Chicago Press, 1973, 1978.
- "Introduction" p. 1-7
- "Reason and Evolution" (selections) p.8-24
- "Cosmos and Taxis" p. 35-54
Session 4: The Morality of Markets
Acton, H. B. “The Ethics of Competition,” The Morals of Markets and Related Essays. Edited by David Gordon and Jeremy Shearmur. Indianapolis: Liberty Fund, Inc., 1993. p. 67-98
Hazlitt, Henry. The Foundations of Morality (Third Edition). Irvington-on-Hudson: Foundation for Economic Education, Inc., 1998. Chapter 8, “The Need for General Rules” (pages 53–61) and Chapter 9, “Ethics and Law” (pages 62–69)
Session 5: Liberty and Development
North, Douglass C. “Institutions, Ideology, and Economic Performance.” Cato Journal 11, no. 3 (Winter 1992): 477–488.
Easterly, William and Ross Levine. “Africa’s Growth Tragedy: Policies and Ethnic Divisions.” The Quarterly Journal of Economics. 112, no. 4 (November 1997): 1203–1250.
Session 6: Private Property and Civil Society
Locke, John. “Of Property” Second Treatise of Government. p. 215-238
Alchian, Armen A. & Harold Demsetz. “The Property Rights Paradigm.” Journal of Economic History 33, no. 1 (March 1973): pages 16–27.