Senior Director of Marketing
The Institute for Humane Studies (IHS) seeks a Senior Director of Marketing to plan, execute, and track a multifaceted marketing and communications program aimed at shaping IHS into the recognized leader in the development of talented students, scholars, and other intellectuals who share an interest in liberty and in advancing the principles and practice of freedom. In addition, the Senior Director will help shape IHS into a recognized, leading source for such talent.
The Institute for Humane Studies, founded in 1961, is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) educational organization that promotes the study of economic and individual freedom across a broad range of academic and professional disciplines. Each year IHS awards more than $750,000 in scholarships to college students from universities around the world. IHS also sponsors free summer seminars, awards public policy and journalism internships, and provides various forms of career assistance. Through these programs, IHS promotes open inquiry, critical thinking, rigorous scholarship, and creative problem-solving aimed at the advancement of a free, peaceful, and prosperous society.
Key responsibilities for the Senior Director of Marketing include:
- Ensuring effective outreach to, and communication with, multiple constituencies (student prospects, alumni, program faculty, allies, donors, and more).
- Working with program directors and senior leaders at IHS to develop a brand strategy for IHS (with consultant support, if needed), ensuring effective implementation of the brand and directly managing efforts and activities that promote, enhance, and protect IHS’s brand.
- Crafting and ensuring implementation of an ambitious plan to attract orders-of-magnitude more college students (and similar age cohort) to IHS’s programs and talent pipelines.
- Providing strategic advice and guidance to IHS managers regarding marketing and communications goals and strategies for their programs and projects.
- Ensuring robust measurement of all marketing and communications efforts.
- Championing marketing and communication goals and strategies across IHS, and building a greater organizational awareness of IHS’s marketing and communications aspirations and progress.
- Supervising a team of roughly half a dozen staff and interns, and ensuring a culture of customer-focus and problem-solving.
Candidates must have demonstrable, extensive (~10+ years) experience in developing and leading strategic marketing and communications programs and teams. In addition, candidates should possess a strong appreciation for classical liberal principles (individual rights, free markets, limited government, voluntarism, and peace). The successful candidate will have an entrepreneurial spirit, possess the ability to balance shifting and competing priorities, have the capacity to adjust strategies and tactics quickly in response to new information, and will be a skilled, proven manager and leader.
Salary will be competitive for a senior-level nonprofit position in the Washington, DC area and will be commensurate with experience. IHS provides exceptional benefits to all individual employees, including health and dental insurance coverage (which includes paying 100 percent of the health insurance premium and tax-free reimbursement of all deductible expenses, and paying 100 percent of the dental insurance premium). IHS also provides all employees with flexible spending accounts, long-term disability and life insurance, a 403(b) retirement savings program, a parking permit, and one free course per semester at George Mason University.
The Institute for Humane Studies is located in Arlington, Virginia, just outside of Washington, D.C., two blocks from the Virginia Square metro stop (on the Orange Line). IHS is a flexible, professional, open office environment that encourages innovation and entrepreneurship and provides substantial opportunity for professional and personal growth.
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials:
- Portfolio of materials from a marketing campaign you managed
- Cover letter detailing:
- Your interest in this position
- A compelling case about why the mission of IHS resonates with you
- Your salary requirements
Materials should be emailed (total size must be under 5MB; larger items should be linked to instead of emailed) to Claire Kittle, Executive Director of Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: email@example.com.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. No phone calls please.