Adjunct Program Officer
The Institute for Humane Studies (IHS) at George Mason University is seeking an Adjunct Program Officer to build and strengthen the Institute’s academic network. The Program Officer will be responsible for mentoring graduate students, discovering new talent, and working on select programs. This is a part-time, contract position that requires availability starting September 1, 2013.
IHS prefers candidates who have experience mentoring students, graduate training in the humanities or social sciences, excellent written and verbal communication skills, and a deep knowledge of, and appreciation for, the classical liberal intellectual tradition. Ideal candidates will have a JD or a PhD and experience teaching a college-level audience.
The Program Officer’s responsibilities include:
- Prospecting for and establishing mentoring relationships with graduate students to provide them with intellectual and career guidance
- Attending events for IHS, such as academic conferences to network with faculty and graduate students, career development workshops, networking events, and/or seminars
- Potentially speaking at IHS events and evaluating fellowship applications, depending on the contracting arrangement reached
Salary is competitive, contract-based, and will be commensurate with experience. Applicants should include how many hours they are available for this type of work in their cover letter. Remote work is possible with this position; however, applicants should note that some travel may be required.
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials:
- Cover letter detailing:
- Your interest in this position
- A compelling case about why the mission of IHS resonates with you
- Your salary requirements