Liberty & Society - Loyola University, June 22 – 28, 2013
|General Information||Packing List||Campus Information||Travel Information|
It is very important to arrive during the check-in period. Please consider possible traffic delays, transfer time, and other potential hindrances when you estimate your travel time. You want to arrive in time to check in and unwind prior to the seminar. We do not recommend booking your flight through Hotwire or similar discount airfare websites, as they usually do not specify a flight time and there is a possibility that you will be late to the seminar.
Please note that Loyola University has multiple campuses. The seminar will take place on Loyola's Lake Shore Campus.
The city of Chicago has two primary airports, O'Hare Airport and Midway Airport, bus service through Grayhound and Megabus, and by train usingAmtrak. Chicago also boasts a good metro network by way of the Chicago Transit Authorty.
Amtrak (800-USA-RAIL) has frequent service to Chicago's Union Station. At Union Station, you can take a short walk south on S. Canal Street to the Clinton-Blue train stop on the blue line. From there, head to the Jackson-Blue stop and walk to the Jackson-Red stop. Once you are on the Red Line, you can go north directly to the Loyola Campus, on the Loyola stop.
The fare system for the Chicago rail network utilizes fare cards, which can be purchased from any station. First ride will deduct $2.25 from your transit card. Your first transfer on your trip will cost an additional $0.25, but the second transfer is free. Trains run regularly throughout the day, beginning at approxiately 3:00 AM and ending at 2:00 AM the next night.
From other Chicago stations:
The Loyola rail station is integrated within the entire Chicago Rail network. Please see the CTA Train map for additional information.
There are several options for reaching the University if you are travelling by plane.
- From O'Hare airport, take the Chicago Rail via the Blue-line to Jackson-Blue.
- Transfer to Jackson-Red on the Red-line. The Red-line will take you to Loyola station.
- From Chicago's Midway Airport, take can take the Orange-line from Midway to the Roosevelt stop.
- At the Roosevelt stop, transfer to the Red-line and take that to the Loyola station.
Driving From O'Hare International Airport
- Take I-190 East to Chicago.
- Merge onto I-90 East to Chicago.
- Take I-90 East to exit 82A Nagle Ave.
- Merge onto west Gregory St.
- Turn left at north Nagle Ave.
- Turn right on Devon Ave.
- Continue straight onto West Sheridan Rd and enter the Loyola University campus.
Driving from Midway Airport
- Take Cicero Avenue north and merge onto I-55 N / Stevenson Expy.
- Keep left at the fork and follow the signs for Lake Shore Drive N (US-41 N).
- Merge onto US-41 N / South Lake Shore Dr.
- Continue onto Lake Shore Drive N.
- Turn right onto N. Sheridan Rd.
Below are directions to the Loyola University Lake Shore Campus. Use these as a guide, but for more detailed directions please use Google Maps.
From the I-80. I-55, and the Southwest:
- Take the exit for I-55 North into downtown Chicago.
- Take the Lake Shore Drive Exit
- Continue on Lake Shore Drive going north until you reach Sheridan Road
- Turn right onto Sheridan Road and continue until you reach Kenmore Avenue
- Take a right onto Kenmore Ave and proceed until you reach the parking area.
From I-88 and the West:
- Take I-88 east to Chicago.
- Take the exit for I-294 West North to Wisconsin.
- Take the exit for 1-90 East to Chicago.
- Take I-90 east to exit 82 A, Nagle Ave.
- Take the first right onto West Bryn Mawr Ave.
- Travel for about 1 mile and turn left at North Central Ave
- Take North Central Ave for about 1 mile to West Devon Ave.
- Turn right onto West Devon Ave and continue straight onto West Sheridan Rd.
- Turn left at Kenmore Ave and proceed until you reach the parking area.
From I-94 and the South / Southeast:
- Please note that the southern section of the Dan Ryan Expressway (I-94) through the city may still be under contraction. Please anticipate possible delays.
- If detours are in effect, follow the signs and exit onto Stony Island Drive from the Chicago Skyway.
- Take the exit for I-55 N.
- Take the Lake Shore Drive exit and continue north until you reach Sheridan Rd.
- Continue on Sheridan Rd until you reach Kenmore Ave.
- Take a right onto kenmore and proceed until you reach the parking area.
From I-94 and the North:
- Take I-94 East, south to Chicago.
- Take exit 39B to Touhy Ave East.
- Merge onto West Touhy Ave.
- Turn right and stay on W. Touhy Ave.
- Turn right onto N. Sheridan Rd and follow it into campus.