Information for Accepted Students
Bryn Mawr College, June 5–11, 2010
General Seminar Information
The Journalism & the Free Society seminar will begin on Saturday June 5th at Bryn Mawr College. Registration will be from 1-3 pm at Rockefeller Dormitory. Please plan to arrive in time for check in. Directly after registration, the first lecture will begin in the Park Science Building. If your flight is delayed or you have any other emergency that would cause you to be late for registration, please notify your seminar assistant, Kelly O’Keefe, as soon as possible.
The seminar ends on June 11 at 10:00am. Check out will be in the dormitory lobby between 9-11 am. You are free to leave earlier in the day, but most people choose to stay for breakfast to say goodbye to their new friends.
Your dormitory, lecture hall, dining hall and reception locations are all outlined on the campus map. Along with housing, you will be provided with meals throughout the week. Meals begin with dinner on Saturday and end with breakfast on Friday. You have free time on Tuesday, June 8th starting after lunch. Dinner will not be provided that night. Please remember to bring extra money for that dinner and any other meals while you are traveling to and from the seminar.
- Dorm Address: 101 North Merion Ave, Bryn Mawr, PA 19010-2899
- Gym access is TBD.
- Laundry facilities can be found in the basement of the dormitory.
- Internet is available on campus for a fee of $10 for one connection or $15 for two. The dormitory does not have wireless, so you will need to purchase two connections if you want wireless in the classroom and wired in the dorm. You need an Ethernet cord for internet in the dorm.
- Computer Labs are available to participants.
- Parking on the Bryn Mawr campus is free, but you will need to register your vehicle and pick up a parking pass at registration.
- Bed linens and towels are provided by the university, but you will want to pack your own toiletries (soap, shampoo, etc.).
- Spending money for your free afternoon and dinner on Tuesday.
- Ethernet cable for dorm internet access if you bring your computer.
- Casual clothing, there is no dress code for the seminar.
- Sweater or sweatshirt. Classrooms tend to be chilly.
- Pen and paper for taking notes.
- An alarm clock, so that you are not late for any sessions!
It is very important to arrive during the check in period. Please consider possible traffic delays, transfer time, and other potential hindrances when you estimate your travel time. You want to arrive in time to check in and unwind prior to the seminar. We do not recommend booking your flight through Hotwire or similar discount airfare websites, as they usually do not specify a flight time and there is a possibility that you will be late to the seminar.
The city of Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania is served primarily by Philadelphia International Airport. Bryn Mawr is also accessible by Amtrak train through Philadelphia at the 30th Street Station and through other Philadelphia train stations by way of SEPTA.
You can find directions to the Bryn Mawr campus here.